Mrs Thinsters Coconut Cookie Monster Cupcakes
(Makes 24 cupcakes)
• 1-store bought box vanilla cake mix
• 3 eggs
• 1-cup water (room temperature)
• ½-cup cooking oil (recipe used canola oil)
• ½-cup coconut flakes (optional)
• Hand held blender
• 2 cupcake trays (tray holds 12 twelve cupcakes)
• 24 cupcake liners
• 1-cup whip cream (ready to whip icing or butter cream) used to frost
• ½-tsp blue food coloring paste
• 1 piping bag
• 1-cup coconut flakes (optional) used for cupcake decoration
• 4 drops of blue food coloring
• 1-quart sealable plastic bag (used to mix coconut and food coloring)
• 12 white gumballs, cut in half, (makes 24 eyeballs)
• ½-tsp black fondant, rolled in circles (makes 24 eyes)
• 1 toothpick
• 1-bag Mrs Thinster’s Toasted Coconut Cookie Thins (12 cookies cut in half used to place in mouth)
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2. In a medium to large mixing bowl combine cake mix batter, eggs, water, oil, and coconut flakes (optional).
3. Using a hand held blender blend cake batter on low speed 3 to 4 minutes, then blend on high speed 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Line cupcake tray with cupcake liners. Pour ¼-cup of cake batter into cupcake liners and bake 15-20 minutes.
5. Cool cupcakes on wire rack (12-15 minutes).
1. Combine whip cream or butter cream in a medium bowl.
2. Using an electric mixer or held hand blender, whip the butter on high 3 to 4 minutes
3. Add food coloring paste and continue mixing for 5-8 minutes.
4. Using a piping bag with a fluted nozzle, fill with blended whip cream.
5. Frost the entire cupcake with the blue icing.
6. Using sealed plastic bag, empty additional coconut flakes into bag.
7. Drop food coloring and shake 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer colored coconut flakes into a small bowl.
8. Frost the cupcake first with icing. Then lightly dip frosted cupcake into coconut flakes until the cupcake is fully covered with coconut flakes.
1. To form the eyes, cut 12 gumballs in half with knife. Place the two halves onto the cupcake to use as eyeballs. Repeat process.
2. To complete the eyes, roll fondant into a ball. Pinch off a small portion of fondant the size of a pea.
3. Roll out fondant into small ball and flattened.
4. Using a toothpick, lightly smear the back of the round fondant circle(s) with blue frosting and place onto the center of the white gumball halve circles and press gently until they stick to each other. Repeat process.
5. To form the mouth, cut 12 Mrs Thinster’s Toasted Coconut Cookie Thins in half. Insert half a cookie in the bottom-center of each cupcake. Wala! There you have a Cookie Monster Cupcake! Serve and enjoy!